In the 1700’s, well before the formation of the Club, Wivenhoe’s fishermen and seafarers were already racing smacks on the River Colne competing for prizes given by the local gentry.
Wivenhoe Sailing Club was established in 1925 by a small group of like-minded local businessmen and sailors, regularly meeting on the first floor of the British Legion by the Quay on the north shore.
In 1936 an old hut was brought down from Mr Pawsey’s chicken farm in Spring Lane and remounted on land opposite the Legion on the old foundations of an oysterman’s premises. The land was leased from Colchester Borough Council and the compound fenced and gated. The slipway was created from old railway sleepers. This hut and the hard became the base for members until after the second World War.
In 1957 the Club leased the second floor of the British Legion and managed to get a bar license. Members, as well as the Cadet Section located in the small loft at the top of the building, met there for many years. The Old Hut and hard area were used as storage for the many dinghies and associated equipment as the membership increased.
The completion of the Colne Barrier by the River Authority provided the Club with the opportunity to move from the cramped and rather constrained accommodation on the Quay. The Club moved to its existing premises, just East of the Barrier, in 1994.
The Old Hut and hard are still in use today.